1.Were you active prior to CrossFit?
Yes, I worked out a traditional gym, did Zumba and Tae Kwon Do. I tried to be active 3-4 days a week.
2. When did you first start doing CrossFit?
3. What were your thoughts after your first workout?
“Shut Up!” : )
4. What do you enjoy the most about CrossFit?
By far, the sense of community I experience at every box, whether I’m at home at Vitality or dropping in when I travel for business. Also, the fact that you can modify your workout to fit with your goals and/or physical limitations (like my cranky knees) truly makes this sport something you can do for a lifetime. Finally, this sport allows me to tap into my natural competitive spirit – as an adult, that’s exciting.
5. What were your goals when you first started?
1) To enjoy working out again – I was bored and unmotivated working out at a traditional gym.
2) To lose weight, get in shape, and just generally feel better.
What are they now?
1) To continue to improve my overall health and body composition with a purposeful diet.
2) To get better at body weight movements (pushups, T2B)
6. What is your favorite CrossFit movement?
Wall balls (but only b/c Rowing existed before CrossFit) : )
7. What is your least favorite movement?
Burpees (but only b/c Running existed before CrossFit) : )
8. What kind of nutrition plan do you follow and has that changed since you started CrossFit?
Yes, my nutrition has definitely changed – it had to if I wanted to attain my goals and feel better. I foolishly thought I could still out train my diet, as I did in my 20s – clearly that is not possible as you get older. I’ve done every Paleo challenge since I started at Vitality (and saw great results), but I always drifted back into my old eating habits and gained most of the weight back. 100% Paleo is not something I can personally maintain, so I’ve recently worked with Jess to develop a personalized nutrition plan based on my body type, my goals, and is totally achievable in my time frame. It’s mostly Paleo, but with some grains added back in to keep my sanity.
9. Talk about your results from doing Cross Fit?
CrossFit has changed me on so many levels and the results I’ve seen are both physical and mental. Physically, I’m the strongest I’ve ever been in my life and my body composition continues to change. CrossFit has also eliminated troubled sleep patterns that I suffered with for years; since starting 4 1/2 years ago, I’ve had no issues falling asleep and staying asleep for a solid 7-8 hours which is such a blessing. At 40, I continue to have low blood pressure, great cholesterol and sugar levels and remain medicine-free. Mentally, I’ve learned that my limits are not what I thought they were and the comfort zone is definitely a “made up place.” There’s no challenge in a comfort zone and to use one of my favorite quotes, “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.” I constantly embrace the challenge in order to continue to see the change.